View Single Post
Old 11th June 2014, 23:45

Having read various web forums, it seems that the rules are far from clear.

In principal, those with existing entitlements should keep them, whilst those who had to take a test to drive a minibus have to provide a medical certificate after age 45 and every five years thereafter until age 70 when it has to be renewed every year.

I've never taken any test other than motorcycle (1960) and car (1961). I didn't need to take an HGV test as I claimed grandfather rights.

My parents (born 1909 and 1911) didn't even take any driving test - back then there was no test - you just applied for a licence (like I did for my HGV Class 1 in 1971).

I certainly don't want to get into the yearly renewal, so I'll just have to take my chance that I will get my licence with the full entitlement (or not).

I used to be able to drive track-laying vehicles and road locomotives, but that wording disappeared when my licence changed from a book to a paper licence.
I have never had a photocard licence.

I don't expect (or want) to renew my Class 1 HGV, but I will be miffed if they exclude everything else except a private car . . . (though it won't actually affect me - the chances of me wanting to drive a minibus or light truck is remote (although my son in law has a horsebox for his Clydesdales).

I'll have to ask him whether his father still retains his right to drive the horsebox without a full medical every year (he is over 70).

You might want to read:- http://www.tribal-living.co.uk/forum...ad.php?t=24668
and the following pages . . .