View Single Post
Old 11th December 2013, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Misrule View Post
the air brakes jam on as soon as there is enough pressure in the air tank and I have to release them by operating the air doors.
There is an inconsistency here IMO. I don't have a diagram of the brake circuit for a PJK (or a VAS), but with no air the parking brake should be applied (by the springbrake), and with air available, operating the parking brake lever should release the parking brake. Operating the doors will exhaust the stored air down to a level that allows the service brakes (using the footbrake) to operate. With no pressure on the footbrake there should be no brakes applied (apart from the parking brake).

If things are as you describe then there is something wrong (which you already know of course). It is possible that someone has re-plumbed the the system to suit the static use, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

One possibility is that the footbrake is permanently applied (ie the pedal is jammed down or the internals have deteriorated and are allowing air through to apply the (service) brakes.

Have you ever driven this bus or did you acquire it as a static?

Under what conditions are the brakes free?

Last edited by G-CPTN; 11th December 2013 at 19:45.