Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
02:47
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Old 4th July 2015, 21:41

Bedford MK

Hi, I am new to this site. I own a Bedford MK 4x4 and would welcome any advise. At the moment I am servicing the brakes and would like help with the workings and adjustment of the rear brakes , including park brake.
Old 4th July 2015, 23:23

What are your problems?

I have a workshop service manual for the MK, but without a specific question it is difficult to know where to start.

The parking brake is a mechanically-operated drum brake on the transmission driveline - at least it is in my version of the manual.
The procedure for adjustment is to apply the parking brake 'firmly' to centralise the shoes and then release the brake and turn the adjuster until the shoes are hard against the drum, then back-off the adjuster until the drum is free to rotate. (best done with the front axle chocked and the rear wheels jacked-up)

Finally, apply the handbrake lever 'three notches' and check that the cable adjustment is such that the shoes are just touching the drum.

If necessary adjust the cable using the threaded sleeve - ensure that both ends have adequate engagement.

It is possible that later versions could have a disc brake, and, maybe, air-operated.
I cannot provide details of this type.
Old 6th July 2015, 17:27

Thanks for your quick response, I however have the later version. The park brake is air operated by pull rods entering the brake cylinders.
Old 6th July 2015, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinbeddy View Post
I however have the later version. The park brake is air operated by pull rods entering the brake cylinders.
Infinitely better - the transmission brake wasn't really a good idea, and could be useless on a slippery gradient (such as off-road mud). The vehicle would 'spin' with front axle sliding one way and the rear axle sliding the other - particularly difficult when towing a loaded trailer!