Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
06:09
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Todays Bus & Coach News
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th January 2015, 17:43

Bus, fire truck and taxi ended up in the ditch

In Rosersberg north of Stockholm a bus stopped at a bus stop. It then slided on the road and ended in the ditch. The passengers and the driver used a window to get out. Police and rescue services were called. When the fire truck arrived it too slid into the ditch, shortly followed by a Taxi...

http://www.dn.se/sthlm/buss-i-diket-...fter-och-taxi/ (Swedish, but with pic)

Ice is a real problem in Stockholm right now because of the difference in temperature between day and night. The smaller roads are covered with ice, or have only "tire tracks" in the ice. The pavements and pedestrian roads are covered with ice. Yesterday Södersjukhuset (one of our hospitals) had 80 cases of different bone fractures caused by ice.
In december a woman fell in front of a train at Östervik close to where I live. She survived but have leg injuries.
And of course a lot of accidents, not always caused by high speed, like in the case with the bus standing still at a bus stop and sliding of the road...
Old 15th January 2015, 18:12

I have driven (a few years ago) on such roads - where the vehicles were sliding across the camber, even when stationary.

A couple of nights ago we had a fine haze of rain with temperature just on freezing. The road surface was 'glat' - it is worst when the ice isn't hard (wet ice).
Old 15th January 2015, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
I have driven (a few years ago) on such roads - where the vehicles were sliding across the camber, even when stationary.

A couple of nights ago we had a fine haze of rain with temperature just on freezing. The road surface was 'glat' - it is worst when the ice isn't hard (wet ice).
I found such ice when walking from the train station to the office at Strukton Rail yesterday. My good balance saved me from falling. One of my colleague fell when we were walking from our car to the gate leading to the tracks. He is now at home. His hip were already damaged before the fall and he is in great pain.
I have also driven a bus on such road. I ended up stopping my bus in the rear of a Skoda Octavia RS after trying to stop for about 100 metres...
Old 15th January 2015, 18:32

I have driven a 44 tonne artic in similar conditions. If I put the park brake on, and released the footbrake, it wanted to slide down the banked curve of the M25. That got a little scary when the curve was a right hander and the camber was towards the centre barrier.

A week later I was driving in +40 degrees, in Perth, W.A!!!
Old 15th January 2015, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdavey6 View Post
I have driven a 44 tonne artic in similar conditions. If I put the park brake on, and released the footbrake, it wanted to slide down the banked curve of the M25. That got a little scary when the curve was a right hander and the camber was towards the centre barrier.

A week later I was driving in +40 degrees, in Perth, W.A!!!
Sounds scary.
We had an incident similar to the one in the article when I worked as a bus driver. A bus stoppe to let another vehicle, going in the opposite direction, pass as the road was narrow there. When he started again the rear wheels of the bus slid down the slope on the side of the road.
They had to get a gritter there to sand the road so the tow truck could get there...