Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
08:34
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Old 21st February 2015, 02:18

The Drinks Bus says hi and asks many questions

Hi Everyone , Thanks for letting me join and getting access to all your knowledge.
I have joined to educate myself and also to share my experiences with all you bus fans, also as an ex truck driver , my blog lorryday was pretty well followed and I feel connected to anyone involved in lorry driving.
here goes.

I have bought a double decker bus, built in 1977 , VDV135S is the number. It is converted into a bar , complete with pumps and optics and fridges. It carries no passengers and only has 1 seat, the drivers seat. It is currently on the LOG BOOK and plated as a HGV, it was taxed as a HGV , I went to tax it and it came up as MOT exempt, I do not know why . It pays no LEZ charge and has a 100% reduction on any charge.
My question is , should it be a HGV or could it qualify for either private HGV or even any other class ,
It is a converted vehicle and is not capable of carrying any goods, it travels to a location and is then set up as a bar and used as a bar and then driven away again. is there anything you could point me to to find out any more information. I have a restricted O licence at the minute with two spaces and I am reluctant to give one up for this vehicle unless I have to.
Thanks for any help you may offer.
Danny
Old 21st February 2015, 02:41

If the sole purpose of the vehicle is to travel to rallies, not carrying paying passengers or carrying a load for delivery, then what you have got is a private vehicle - just as a converted 'motorhome' is not a goods vehicle.

I'm not sure about the legality of 'dispensing' drinks, but, IMO (unqualified) opinion, if you are just serving your friends (and not charging them) it is no different to entertaining from your motorhome.

http://bcv.robsly.com/vdv135s.html

Last edited by G-CPTN; 21st February 2015 at 02:47.
Old 21st February 2015, 02:52

This bus is designed for selling alcohol , and I have the licence for that as well , I supply the machine and the facility, but not the actual booze, that is supplied by a third party that hires the machine from me and then sells it , I merley deliver the equipment and licence his event , A bit like me building him a mobile bar but this ones drives !
Thanks for all your reply.
danny